- Things to consider when hiring a bricklayer
Firstly, customers should ensure that their bricklayer has the relevant experience. Always ask to see their portfolio and request references from previous clients that have had similar work done. This will give you an idea of their professionalism, how fast they work and the quality of their results.
Another great indication of a bricklayer’s ability is their qualifications. While some may have learnt their trade through apprenticeships, others will hold an NVQ or a City & Guild diploma. Never be afraid to ask about their credentials or trade associations memberships. Many trade bodies will only accept members who have demonstrated reliability, met certain standards, abide by specific codes of conduct and hold the necessary insurance cover. These trade bodies include the Federation of Master Builders (FMB), the Guild of Builders and Contractors, the Guild of Master Craftsmen, the National Federation of Builders and the FairTrades Association. While these are voluntary to join, they do give customers additional peace of mind, with many also offering guarantees and operating complaints procedures to deliver support after a job has been finished.
Another consideration is whether planning permission will be required for a build. Maintenance work and repainting jobs are unlikely to require planning but any walls higher than 1 meter being built by a road, pavement or next to a road will require the proper permission before any work can begin. Additionally, interior work or extensions may also require you to notify the Building Control department at the local authority or consult a structural engineer. Make sure to discuss these requirements with the tradesman early on, as failing to get the proper regulations can lead to fines and a stop to the building work.
If you're unsure on how to lay a patio then a local bricklayer would be able to help you with this
- How Hoppy can help
We make it easy to find a tradesman you can trust with our partner, Rated People.
- Select ‘bricklayer’ from the list of trades and tell Hoppy all about your job by completing a short form.
- Then post your job - you'll get a confirmation email from Hoppy and our partner Rated People that your job has been posted, with a link to where you can manage it.
- Now sit back and wait to hear from up to 3 trusted tradespeople about your job - be sure to check out their profiles, where you’ll find examples of previous work and genuine reviews.
- Then simply choose the right person for your job!
So, make your property visions a reality today. Find reliable local bricklayers quickly and easily to make your home a Hoppy place to be.