- Should I repair an appliance or just replace it?
A broken appliance is usually a big problem and a lot of people will choose to replace it as the easiest solution. However, this is an expensive solution, especially when an appliance engineer could get it back in working condition in just a short time.
Age is the main factor when deciding whether to repair or replace an appliance. Appliances all come with an average lifespan and once they have gone past this point, they are more likely to experience issues or break down completely. When this happens, a replacement is the sensible financial decision. This obviously doesn’t apply to antique appliances, which may be much more expensive to replace than they are to repair.
Ultimately, the decision will come down to money. Most appliance engineers will recommend that if repair costs come to more than half the price of a replacement appliance, then it is simply not worth trying to rectify the issue. Of course, if the appliance is still within warranty, then it is always worth trying to have it fixed by the manufacturer for free before considering a replacement purchase.
For any household appliance, prevention is always better than the cure. Make sure to always read the operational manual upon purchase and to follow the guidelines for proper usage and maintenance to ensure longevity.
- How Hoppy can help?
If you have an appliance in need of repair, then we can help you find a tradesperson who can help with our partner, Rated People
- Select ‘appliance engineer’ from the list of trades and tell Hoppy all about your job by completing a short form.
- So, stop worrying about that broken appliance. Quickly and easily browse expert tradesmen in your area and make your home a Hoppy one today.
- Then simply choose the right person for your job!
- Now sit back and wait to hear from up to 3 trusted tradespeople about your job - be sure to check out their profiles, where you’ll find examples of previous work and genuine reviews.
Then post your job - you'll get a confirmation email from Hoppy and our partner Rated People that your job has been posted, with a link to where you can manage it.